Saturday, October 4, 2008

Kyūdō—The Long Road Ahead


Enlightenment in Buddhism is often depicted as a road, a path or a way. The pursuit of this way is called kyūdō (求道). I believe that the path to enlightenment is not separate from the state of enlightenment itself. In other words, the journey is just as important as the destination or, to put it differently, if you never set out on the journey you never make it to the destination. I want to thank all of the people that have contributed to this cause thus far and I hope you will allow me a moment to explain some of the steps that lie ahead on my journey.

The Awakening of the Call to Enlightenment

I have spent the last 14 years of my life studying the religious traditions of the world. My studies have ultimately run up against a roadblock and, although I had lived in temples before and committed myself to meditation retreats in the past, I felt that in order to really understand I would have to commit more completely to a practice that will help me realize the fruits of my studies. To put this feeling differently, I was inspired to experience Buddhism and attain enlightenment. This feeling is called hosshin (発心) or bodaishin (菩提心)-- Bodhicitta-- in Buddhism and is considered the critical first step toward enlightenment without which human beings remain satisfied with both delusion and worldly desires.

My Ordination

On October 27th last year, I had my head shaved and I was given the dharma name (hōmyō, 法名) Jōji (盛慈) by my master the aged and respected monk Seiyū (盛雄) in a ceremony known in English as a tonsure and in Japanese as a tokudoshiki (得度式). At this moment, I entered an esoteric lineage of Buddhism that is hundreds of years older than Zen which consists of secret teachings and rituals passed from one generation of monastics to another for thousands of years. I am the first American in history to achieve this honor and enter the monastic lineage. However, this is not where a monk’s journey ends but where it begins.

The Journey’s First Steps

In order to become a full-fledged monastic, I must spend four years studying at Taisho University mastering both Buddhist texts and ritual. This experience will culminate in a set of rigorous training periods known in Shingon Buddhism as kegyō (加行). Cost of this endeavor is roughly 11,000 US Dollars a year. However, with the compassion (jihi, 慈悲) and generous contributions (fuse, 布施) of everyone that reads this webpage, of all the humans in the world and of the Buddhas, I am confident that I will be assisted in my journey. This journey will test my heart, mind and body, and, ultimately, help to forge a human being capable of authentically contributing to the betterment of the world and mankind. This is really what I am asking you to contribute to. I am praying that you will extend your compassion to me and make a contribution to something wonderful and pure. Of course, I will constantly update my progress and activities at this website because this enlightenment belongs to those who donated and supported me, and to all life and existence.

I deeply appreciate your generosity as I continue to pray for the enlightenment of all sentient beings.

Gasshō (合掌)

Jōji (盛慈)

3 comments:

Harvey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Harvey said...

Hey Jōji (盛慈)!

I linked you at JapanNewbie.com. Incredible story! Keep up the blogging, I'm sure people are going to love following this!

Good luck!

Monk in the Making said...

Thank you so much for the link Harvey! I have always enjoyed reading your blog for both your humor and your insights.

I hope to keep you and everyone else posted as much as possible.

Thank you kindly for your support.

Gasshō (合掌)

Ordination